Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Actuarial Studies and Insurance programme (the Programme) integrates actuarial knowledge with business and insurance education. Aiming to nurture future leaders in the fast-changing business world, our Programme equips students with the essential actuarial skills including data analytics, investment and financial analysis. Our highly competitive graduates provide expert recommendations in a vast array of disciplines such as risk management, insurance and consulting.
Programme Objectives (POs)
The Programme Objectives (POs) are to:
- develop students’ creativity, critical thinking, analytical ability and problem-solving skills;
- cultivate students’ communication, interpersonal, leadership, independent learning and other transferable skills;
- instil in students a strong sense of social responsibility and high commitment to business ethics;
- enhance students’ global awareness and local sensitivity;
- equip students with professional knowledge in insurance industry;
- provide students mathematical knowledge, modelling and computing skills in actuarial studies, supplemented with business administration skills; and
- develop students’ ability to make informed recommendations and decisions in a business context.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILOs)
Upon completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- address professional and personal challenges through the application of inter- and multi-disciplinary knowledge acquired;
- possess effective communication skills in a business environment and demonstrate leadership characteristics;
- evaluate own contributions and responsibilities to the society, profession and business partners;
- demonstrate the ability to analyse cultural, social, political, and economic issues from local and global perspectives;
- articulate the principles of insurance to address current issues;
- possess the mathematical knowledge, modelling and computing skills in actuarial studies as well as in business administration; and
- apply the knowledge of insurance industry and financial concepts for solving problems.
I picked this field at university because I am interested in finance and mathematics, and this program could provide relevant courses. It has a variety of courses in the curriculum, including management, data analysis, actuarial mathematics, and other industry-related material. The lectures aid us in laying the foundation for a career in the insurance sector.... more
Furthermore, the program has provided us with oppotunities and support. Students can apply for internships from insurance companies in different areas, including AIA, FWD, China TaiPing, and others. Internship programs with FTLife and Prudential Hong Kong have both been beneficial to me. I obtained a lot of practical experience during the scheme and earned a return offer from Prudential Hong Kong. Besides, mentorship and personal tutor programs are organized to allow students to network with mentors from the insurance industry and communicate with instructors.
To summarize, this program assisted us in establishing a foundation and developing a social network in the insurance sector.
This was my first time having a full-time six-month internship. I worked in the IFRS 17 department of AIA. It was a newly established department that focused this budding topic in the insurance industry. I learned a lot from my team. For instant, my colleagues would kindly explain the concepts behind IFRS17 to me and guide me on using actuarial software, which I had not come across in university lectures. I also take part in preparing Policy Statistics Control Report in different lines of business to make sure that the data was intact after running by DCS or Prophet. Not only had the internship increases my interest in working in the actuarial industry after graduation, but it also equipped me with necessary skills in workplace.
Our Programme is devoted to the advancement of teaching and research in actuarial studies and insurance.
To provide quality education and promote high-calibre research in the area of actuarial studies and insurance. We offer a comprehensive education to equip our students with contemporary knowledge and practical skills, and to instil in students a strong sense of social responsibility and professionalism. We are committed to innovative research with contribution to the society.
Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) Qualifications Register
|Qualification Framework:||Level 5|
|Validity Period:||08/11/2018 To 31/08/2027|
|Primary Area of Study / Training:||Sciences, Mathematics and Statistics|
|Other Area of Study / Training:||Business & Management, Insurance|